Fort Dix, NJ
Military Entrance Processing Station
The Fort Dix MEPS was relocated to the Fort Dix reservation from Philadelphia in June 2000. Originally located at the Schuylkill Arsenal at 2620 Grays Ferry Avenue, the Philadelphia MEPS (then known as the Armed Forces Examination and Entrance Station-AFEES) was under the command and control of the 2nd Army Recruiting District, US Army Recruiting Command (USAREC). On 1 July 1976, the Military Enlistment Processing Command (MEPCOM) was created for USAREC for operational control of the AFEES though still under the Commanding General USAREC. In November 1959, the station was relocated to 401 North Broad St. In 1978, AFEES Philadelphia was again relocated to 1421 Cherry Street. MEPCOM, with its own commanding general, was named USMEPCOM on 1 October, 1979, independent and separate from USAREC. On 1 January 1982, the U.S. Military Enlistment Processing Command became the U.S. Military Entrance Processing Command. At the same time, it was renamed the Philadelphia Military Entrance Processing Station.