Military Entrance Processing Station
The mission of USMEPCOM and the Harrisburg MEPS is to process individuals for enlistment or induction into the armed services, based on DoD-approved peacetime and mobilization standards.
The first Harrisburg Induction Station was established at 147 North Cameron Street, Harrisburg, 1941. Before that time, all inductees were processed in Philadelphia. After the end of World War II, the induction responsibilities returned to Philadelphia.
During July 1956, the station reopened in Warehouse No. 1 (commissary) at New Cumberland Army Depot. In 1964, the commissary was expanded, forcing the station out; it then moved to a group of pre-World War II buildings below the golf house. It stayed here until it again moved in October 1997 to a single building on Westport Drive in Mechanicsburg, PA.
The Harrisburg MEPS is one of a network of 65 MEPS located nationwide and in Puerto Rico.
A separate Department of Defense (DoD) agency, USMEPCOM is comprised of two geographical sectors and staffed with personnel from all military services
Three primary areas are considered in determining an applicant's qualifications for enlistment:
- aptitude for military service
- physical qualification
- background evaluation screening