Military Entrance Processing Station
The Amarillo MEPS first began operations following the outbreak of hostilities in World War II. Its first home was located at 400 South Harrison Street in downtown Amarillo where it remained until demands for personnel support the Vietnam conflict required a move to larger facilities. The station then moved to the Herring Plaza, also located in downtown Amarillo. As the physical condition of the building deteriorated, fire safety became an issue, and the command was prompted to look for new facilities.
Amarillo MEPS moved into its current facilities at 1100 South Fillmore Street in May 1981. A Grand Opening ceremony was conducted August 24, 1981. Ribbon cutting at the new location was accomplished by Congressman Jack Hightower of the 13th Congressional District and Amarillo Mayor Rick Klein, with Colonel G. C. Psaros, Commander, Western Sector, and Rear Admiral B. T. Hacker, Commander, USMEPCOM, assisting.