Military Entrance Processing Station
The Sacramento MEPS traces its history to before World War II. The Selective Service System's Fresno Induction Center was located on "H" Street in Fresno. Fresno's Induction Center was formally established as an Armed Forces Examining and Entrance Station (AFEES) in March 1950. Military entrance processing activities continued on "H" Street until August 30, 1973, when it relocated four blocks away. The Fresno MEPS closed its doors on July 16, 1996, and relocated 200 miles north to Sacramento, the first time in USMEPCOM's history that a MEPS relocated from one city to another. The Sacramento MEPS opened at 3870 Rosin Court on July 24, 1996. On August 24th, 2012, the MEPS moved in to its present location at 1651 Alhambra Blvd.
The Sacramento MEPS is one of a network of 65 MEPS located nationwide and in Puerto Rico.
A separate Department of Defense (DoD) agency, USMEPCOM is comprised of two geographical sectors and staffed with personnel from all military services.
The mission of USMEPCOM and the Sacramento MEPS is to ensure the quality of military and federal service accessions during peacetime and mobilization in accordance with established standards.
Three primary areas are considered in determining an applicant's qualifications for enlistment:
- aptitude for military service
- physical qualification
- background evaluation screening