Military Entrance Processing Station
Originally on Fort DeRussy, the Honolulu MEPS, then known as the Armed Forces Examining and Entrance Station, relocated to the Outrigger East Hotel in 1973. In 1979 the MEPS moved into the newly completed Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Federal Building. As part of the effort to relocate MEPS on military bases and out of leased office space, Honolulu MEPS moved to Naval Station Pearl Harbor March 20, 1998. Originally built as a Marine barracks, Building 281 is one of eight on the Marine Compound and was completed shortly before the attack on Pearl Harbor. The wooden barracks and galley buildings, including the MEPS, were constructed as part of the World War II buildup and are part of the oldest Marine Garrison in Hawaii.
In 1956, the building was converted into an Enlisted Men’s Club and then was vacant for several years. Extensive renovation for the Honolulu MEPS began in 1997.