Military Entrance Processing Station
The Fargo MEPS was originally housed in a converted school building at Sixth Avenue and Fourth Street North in 1952, then referred to as an Armed Forces Entrance Induction Station. After an extensive fire in April 1961, a new facility was constructed at the current site on Fourth Avenue North. This facility was designed to handle enlistment of 50 or induction of 150 people per day.
In 1965, the Army Recruiting Main Station and the Induction and Armed Forces Entrance functions were split. The new organization was renamed the Fargo Armed Forces Examining and Entrance Station (AFEES) and continued as a part of the U.S. Army Recruiting Command (USAREC). Induction ended in 1972, and the facility was renovated. In 1982, the unit was renamed the Fargo Military Entrance Processing Station. The latest renovation began in January 2000 and was completed in November.