Des Moines, IA
Military Entrance Processing Station

 Photograph of MEPS Building

7105 NW 70th Avenue
Building S-71
Johnston, IA 50131


Commander:
Major Aaron M. Taylor
United States Marine Corps

Senior Enlisted Advisor:
First Sergeant Anthony C. Toolin
United States Army


Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us
Email Us Contact Us
Find Us Find Us

 

Phone: (515) 348-3272
Fax: (515) 224-4906

In January 1959, the Des Moines Armed Forces Examining and Entrance Station (AFEES) relocated from offices in the KRNT Theater to Buildings 63 and 64, Fort Des Moines. During this period the MEPS expanded to support the increased manpower needs necessitated by the Vietnam War. The MEPS was the point of departure for thousands en route to serve their nation. In 1973, with the end of the draft and the birth of the all-volunteer force, the methods and procedures for enlistment processing began to modernize and increase in sophistication to provide the best possible support to the recruiting services. In May, 1987, the Des Moines MEPS moved to 2500 University Avenue, West Des Moines where it remained until 2008. On January 22nd, 2008 the Des Moines MEPS moved into a newly-constructed facility located on Camp Dodge, an Iowa Army National Guard base located in Johnston, IA.