Sioux Falls, SD
Military Entrance Processing Station
The Sioux Falls MEPS traces its lineage to the Armed Forces Examining Entrance Station (AFEES) designated by the Fifth United States Army General Order Number 92, dated in 1953. The AFEES at Sioux Falls was an integral part of Detachment 11, South Dakota Military District, and served in direct support of Air Force and Army recruiting in the state of South Dakota.
The unit was initially located in the Wilson Terminal Building, in the 400 block of East Eighth Street. Early in 1954, the unit relocated to 210 East Tenth Street and occupied part of the building’s first floor. The unit remained in the Tenth Street location through November 1, 1966, when it moved to 320 South Second Avenue. The AFEES in Sioux Falls was relieved from assignment to the Army Regional Recruiting Command on July 1, 1976, and was assigned to the newly formed United States Military Entrance Processing Command. The unit moved to its present location, 2801 South Kiwanis Avenue, Suite 200, on October 2, 1997.
The Sioux Falls MEPS is one of a network of 65 MEPS located nationwide and in Puerto Rico.
A separate Department of Defense (DoD) agency, USMEPCOM is comprised of two geographical sectors and staffed with personnel from all military services.
The mission of USMEPCOM and the Sioux Falls MEPS is to process individuals for enlistment or induction into the armed services, based on DoD-approved peacetime and mobilization standards.
Three primary areas are considered in determining an applicant's qualifications for enlistment:
- aptitude for military service
- physical qualification
- background evaluation screening